Preparing for a class
Here are a few essentials that you should know to help you to prepare for your class:
- If you have any health issues or are unsure about your level of fitness, please consult with your doctor.
- Yoga mats are available at most venues to use but you will need your own yoga mat once you start a regular practise.
- Bring a blanket/shawl/throw to keep you warm during relaxation. It can also be used as padding under the knees and for additional comfort when sitting.
- Avoid eating a heavy meal for 2-3 hours before class.
What to Wear
- Wear loose comfortable clothing that will allow full movement. Remember that you may be upside down at some point in you class!
- Wear layers to allow you to adjust your clothing as the body temperature changes.
- Please remove your socks for standing postures. This is for your own safety.
- Avoid the use of strong smelling deodorants, perfumes or aftershaves.
When You Arrive
- Plan to arrive 5-10 minutes before the class start time.
- Remove shoes before entering the practice space.
- Switch phones off and leave them with your personal belongings outside of the yoga space where possible.
- Always let me know if there has been any change in your health since you completed your student registration form. This is particularly important if you think you are pregnant, so that you can be referred to a pregnancy yoga class.
- Remember that yoga is a non-competitive, personal practice. Don’t be concerned with what others are doing around you and avoid comparing yourself. Every ‘body’ is different and we are perfect in our own way!
- If you are not clear on something, feel free to ask or indicate that you would like some help.
- Never allow yourself to strain, stress or create pain in your body. Only you know how you feel in each asana so listen to the wisdom of your body.